There was an error loading the page.
From users who are members of Transition to university :
|Christian Lawson-Perfect||said||Ready to use||4 years, 2 months ago|
|Lauren Richards||said||Has some problems||4 years, 2 months ago|
|Elliott Fletcher||said||Needs to be tested||4 years, 2 months ago|
|Aiden McCall||said||Has some problems||4 years, 2 months ago|
From users who are not members of Transition to university :
|Anne Else||said||Ready to use||2 years, 3 months ago|
Lauren Richards 4 years, 2 months ago
- I would scrap the first sentence of the statement. It should be in the description. I think I would just write "Using the laws of indices, simplify each expression down to its simplest form." The bit that you have afterwards that states "Recall that a^0=1..." didn't apply to any of the questions I was given, and it seems to be a random place to have this bit of info.
- In part c), you suggested that the user could use the rule a^-m=1/a^m but when I tried to write my answer in that form it did not accept it. I wouldn't suggest you suggest to the user to use the second rule.
- Typo in part b) of the advice - explicity instead of explicitly.
- I'm not sure, but I don't know if the advice for the alternative method of part c) is correct or clear enough. I thought that that rule was a way of reorganising the fraction rather than actually calculating stuff and that if you used it, the final answer of (8a^4)/(3a^6) would be 8/(3a^2) not 8/3(a^-2). I may well be wrong hahaha so just ignore me if so!
- I think you're missing a \displaystyle in part e) of the advice.
- I think the bit you have written at the end of part e) "This can be simplified further if possible." is a bit random. I would scrap it.
- I think you're missing some displaystyles in part f) of the advice as well.
- I think generally the question is very good and the advice is very clear and concise!
Aiden McCall 4 years, 2 months ago
For all parts, not 100% sure on this but personally I would omit the commas after each line of the equation and just have some punctuation at the end such as a full stop or comma like you have done, just not every line.
a) Very good
b) To read easier I would remove 'Then' from the first line and 'that' from the second. Also possibly but 'Therefore' (the one before the equation) on another line.
All other parts were good just the commas in the equations.
No variables have been defined in this question.
This variable doesn't seem to be used anywhere.
Error in variable testing condition
There's an error in the condition you specified in the Variable testing tab. Variable values can't be generated until it's fixed.
No parts have been defined in this question.
Select a part to edit.
For each combination of answer and choice, specify the number of marks to add or subtract when the student picks it.
For each combination of answer and choice, write 1 if the student should tick it, or 0 if they should leave it unticked.
Test that the marking algorithm works
Check that the marking algorithm works with different sets of variables and student answers using the interface below.
Create unit tests to save expected results and to document how the algorithm should work.
There's an error which means the marking algorithm can't run:
These variables are available within the marking algorithm.
These values are available as extra variables in the marking algorithm.
These values are available as entries in the
Click on a note's name to show or hide it. Only shown notes will be included when you create a unit test.
No unit tests have been defined. Enter an answer above, select one or more notes, and click the "Create a unit test" button.
The following tests check that the question is behaving as desired.
This test has not been run yet This test produces the expected output This test does not produce the expected output
This test is not currently producing the expected result. Fix the marking algorithm to produce the expected results detailed below or, if this test is out of date, update the test to accept the current values.
One or more notes in this test are no longer defined. If these notes are no longer needed, you should delete this test.
|This note produces the expected output||Current:||
This test has not yet been run.
In order to create a variable replacement, you must define at least one variable and one other part.
|Variable||Answer to use||Must be answered?|
The variable replacements you've chosen will cause the following variables to be regenerated each time the student submits an answer to this part:
These variables have some random elements, which means they're not guaranteed to have the same value each time the student submits an answer. You should define new variables to store the random elements, so that they remain the same each time this part is marked.
This part can't be reached by the student.
Add a "next part" reference to this part from another part.
None of the parts which can lead to this part are reachable either.
Next part options
Variable replacementsNo variable replacements have been defined for this next part option.
This part can follow on from:
This part doesn't follow on from any others.
There was an error loading this extension.
- : of
This question is used in the following exams:
- Algebra and functions by Elliott Fletcher in Elliott's workspace.
- Malcolm's copy of Algebra and functions by Malcolm Roberts in Malcolm's workspace.
- Powers and indices by Christian Lawson-Perfect in Transition to university.
- Hazel Test Exam 1 by Hazel Corradi in Hazel's workspace.
- Week 2 - Practice Exercises by Bobby Kahlon in Bobby's workspace.
- Powers and indices by Angus Rosenburgh in Angus's workspace.
- Indices and Scientific Notation by Katie Bullen in Katie's workspace.
- Powers and indices with functions by Mark Hodds in Tutoring.
- P1 - Algebra & Functions by Rob Beckett in Rob's workspace.
- Eva's copy of Powers and indices by Eva Szatmari in Eva's workspace.
- Blathnaid's copy of Eva's copy of Powers and indices by Blathnaid Sheridan in Blathnaid's workspace.
- Huuuuuge test by Angus Rosenburgh in Angus's workspace.
- Nick's copy of Powers and indices by Nick Walker in Nick's workspace.
- Powers and indices [L0 Randomised] by Matthew James Sykes in CHY1205.
- PRE-LECTURE SKILLS by Matthew James Sykes in CHY1205.
- NUMBAS- Powers and indices by Katy Dobson in Katy's workspace.
- Initial maths test by J. Richard Snape in J. Richard's workspace.
- FOUNDATION MATHEMATICS PRACTICE by Francis Duah in Francis's workspace.
- Ryan's copy of Algebra and functions by Ryan Poling in Ryan's workspace.
- Miscellaneous by Mario Orsi in Mario's workspace.
- Maria's copy of Powers and indices by Maria Aneiros in Maria's workspace.
- workshop by Anne Else in Anne's workspace.
- Test 1 by Ian Jeavons in Ian's workspace.
- Editing copy of Test exam by Elizabeth Petrie in Elizabeth's workspace.
- Test exam by Elizabeth Petrie in Elizabeth's workspace.
- Testing access by J. Richard Snape in J. Richard's workspace.
- Powers and indices by AJAY OTTA in AJAY's workspace.
- Algebra by Alan Levine in Mathtest Questions.
- CMPU1018 Indices & Logs Quiz 2 by Blathnaid Sheridan in Blathnaid's workspace.
- Test 1 by Sandra Ferguson in Sandra's workspace.
- Algebra varias preguntas con ejercicios by Guillermo Bernardo DURÁN GONZÁLEZ in Numbas N° 7.
- Kwame's copy of Malcolm's copy of Algebra and functions by Kwame D Dwamena in Kwame D's workspace.
- test exam algebra by Jose Camarena Brenes in Jose's workspace.
- Summer Bridge Course by AJAY OTTA in Koutilya.
- MEM23004A by Mykola Kyrylenko in Mykola's workspace.
- IA128| Lecture 3| Test your knowledge quiz! by Ahmed Al-Razaz in Ahmed's workspace.
- test_exam by Ciara Fitzpatrick in Ciara's workspace.
- Week 2 by Anne Crowley in Anne's workspace.
- IA124 Assignment 3 by Radu Dragomir Manac in IA124.
- IA128 Assignment 3 by Ahmed Al-Razaz in IA128-Ahmed.
- Maths and Stats Week 3 Knowledge Check by Paul Mackay in Paul's workspace.
- algebraQuestions by Ed Southwood in Ed's workspace.
- alge by Ed Southwood in Ed's workspace.
- Indices by Wan Mekwi in Introduction to Calculus.
- Koutilya ExamNo1 in Mathematics by AJAY OTTA in Koutilya.
- Powers and indices by Jean jinhua Mathias in Maths 3-2020.
- Maths 2 Power and Indices by Jean jinhua Mathias in Maths 2.
- Scientific Notation by Kevin Bohan in Kevin's workspace.
- Week 5 - standard form and indices by Izabela Walczak in Izabela's workspace.
- Indices and simultaneous equations by Jean jinhua Mathias in Maths 2.
- MATH6051 Tutorial 3 2020 by Patricia Cogan in MATH6051 Essential Maths and Stats for Business.
- Edina's copy of Powers and indices by Edina Kurdi in Edina's workspace.
- International Summer School: Rules of Indices by Rachel Binks in MSP International Summer School.
- Trial by Niharika Singh in Niharika's workspace.
- Week 1 revision by Sara Santos in Sara's workspace.
- first exam by Sara Santos in Sara's workspace.