There was an error loading the page.
From users who are members of Transition to university :
|Christian Lawson-Perfect||said||Ready to use||4 years, 2 months ago|
|Hannah Aldous||said||Needs to be tested||4 years, 3 months ago|
|Lauren Richards||said||Has some problems||4 years, 3 months ago|
|Vicky Hall||said||Has some problems||4 years, 3 months ago|
Christian Lawson-Perfect 4 years, 3 months ago
Saved a checkpoint:
The layout of the advice is very hard to follow.
I would work this out by drawing up a table with rows for $n$, $a_n$, and first and second differences.
$n$ 1 2 3 4 $a_n$ 15 22 33 48 First differences 7 11 15 Second differences 4 4
Because the second difference is $4$, I know that the coefficient of $x^2$ is $4/2 = 2$.
Then I can add a row for $a_n - 2n^2 = bn+c$:
$n$ 1 2 3 4 $a_n$ 15 22 33 48 $2n^2$ 2 8 18 32 $a_n-2n^2$ 13 14 15 16
So $bn+c = n+12$, and the formula for the whole sequence is $a_n = 2n^2+n+12$.
Sometimes, a good layout can save a lot of verbiage!
Lauren Richards 4 years, 3 months ago
- So after you have found the difference between the sequential terms, and then found the difference between the differences, which you found in the question I did to be 8, it is not clear how you would decide to start the nth term off as 8/2n^2. I think you need to add in a line explaining your reasoning for this.
- I don't think the first sentence reads very well. Maybe something more like "We first need to calculate the differences between the terms in the sequence.". and then for the second bit of writing "We can then calculate the differences of the term differences." I totally get that that is quite hard to word without being confusing.
- I think "original sequence" should probably be capitalised.
- In the advice, the second bit of writing that finishes with the word differences, is missing a full stop. You're also missing a comma at the end of "difference" near the end of the advice but I think this sentence should be re-worded anyway as it starts with "If", but then doesn't really end it like you would expect. I think it should be something like "We should first find the common difference.".
- No fault of yours but it gets a little confusing with the amount of differences being mentioned, and I think when you refer to the "sequence of differences" you should have sequence of differences in brackets when you first make it to make it clear when you next refer to it.
- I think differences sequence should be capitalised.
- At the end, you're calculating the difference between 2n and the sequence of differences but you haven't done that in the same way as you have done earlier in the question advice and I think you probably should do.
- One time I did the question, it said "Then we can find the difference between 1n and our sequence of differences" so I think you should make sure it just states "n" in this case.
- I think this is a good question, and tricky to make clear!
Vicky Hall 4 years, 3 months ago
I would reword the question to say 'Find the formula for the $n$th term of the quadratic sequence'.
The advice is good but think the last part, where you find the constant, would look better if it were laid out like the previous part, so you show the student what the sequence $3n^2+3n$ looks like compared to the original sequence. You also need to remove the reference to part b).
No variables have been defined in this question.
This variable doesn't seem to be used anywhere.
Error in variable testing condition
There's an error in the condition you specified in the Variable testing tab. Variable values can't be generated until it's fixed.
No parts have been defined in this question.
Select a part to edit.
For each combination of answer and choice, specify the number of marks to add or subtract when the student picks it.
For each combination of answer and choice, write 1 if the student should tick it, or 0 if they should leave it unticked.
Test that the marking algorithm works
Check that the marking algorithm works with different sets of variables and student answers using the interface below.
Create unit tests to save expected results and to document how the algorithm should work.
There's an error which means the marking algorithm can't run:
These variables are available within the marking algorithm.
These values are available as extra variables in the marking algorithm.
These values are available as entries in the
Click on a note's name to show or hide it. Only shown notes will be included when you create a unit test.
No unit tests have been defined. Enter an answer above, select one or more notes, and click the "Create a unit test" button.
The following tests check that the question is behaving as desired.
This test has not been run yet This test produces the expected output This test does not produce the expected output
This test is not currently producing the expected result. Fix the marking algorithm to produce the expected results detailed below or, if this test is out of date, update the test to accept the current values.
One or more notes in this test are no longer defined. If these notes are no longer needed, you should delete this test.
|This note produces the expected output||Current:||
This test has not yet been run.
In order to create a variable replacement, you must define at least one variable and one other part.
|Variable||Answer to use||Must be answered?|
The variable replacements you've chosen will cause the following variables to be regenerated each time the student submits an answer to this part:
These variables have some random elements, which means they're not guaranteed to have the same value each time the student submits an answer. You should define new variables to store the random elements, so that they remain the same each time this part is marked.
This part can't be reached by the student.
Add a "next part" reference to this part from another part.
None of the parts which can lead to this part are reachable either.
Next part options
Variable replacementsNo variable replacements have been defined for this next part option.
This part can follow on from:
This part doesn't follow on from any others.
There was an error loading this extension.
- : of
This question is used in the following exam: